Hot sun is no fun for some Mazda3 vehicles
On some 2010 Mazda3 vehicles, when the engine is started after parking the vehicle under intense sunlight, the MIL may illuminate with DTC P2183 (ECT sensor No. 2 circuit range/performance problem), and/or P0111 (IAT sensor circuit range/performance problem) stored in PCM memory. This is caused by an excessive temperature difference between the ECT #2 and the IAT, due to the sudden rise of engine compartment temperature from sunlight warming the vehicle’s hood. A revised PCM calibration is now available to repair this concern.
Step 1: Verify that the vehicle is within the following VIN range and produced between October 7, 2008 through April 23, 2009. The VIN range is JM1BL****A1 100120 – 152216. If the vehicle is within this VIN range, and produced between October 7, 2008 through April 23, 2009, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Perform a warranty vehicle inquiry using your eMDCS System and inspect the vehicle for a Campaign Label MSP23 attached either to the vehicle’s bulkhead or to the vehicle’s hood. Verify the campaign number, as the vehicle may lave multiple labels.
If eMDCS displays: Campaign MSP23 Open and the label is present,
-- Contact the Mazda Corp. Dealer Assistance group at 877-727-6626 to update vehicle history.
If eMDCS displays: Campaign MSP23 Open and the campaign label is not present,
-- Proceed to “Repair Procedure.”
If eMDCS displays: MSP23 Closed and the label is present,
-- Return the vehicle to the customer.
If eMDCS displays: MSP23 and the label is not present,
-- Complete a label and apply it to the hood.
If eMDCS displays: Campaign: MSP23 Open or Closed is not displayed, the campaign does not apply to the vehicle.
-- Return to customer.
1. Verify customer concern.
2. Using IDS 60.10 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to Calibration information table) by following the Module Reprogramming procedure.
* Always update the IDS tool first, then follow on-screen instructions to download the needed calibration file for PCM reprogramming.
* It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the IDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during IDS reprogramming.
* IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.
* Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations for service-related concerns.
* When reprogramming a PCM, IDS will always display the latest calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.
* When performing this procedure, Mazda recommends that a battery charger be installed on the vehicle battery and turned on to a maximum charge of no more than 20 amps to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If you exceed 20 amps, it could damage the VCM.
3. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, clear all CMDTCs and verify the repair by starting the engine and making sure that there are no MIL illuminations or abnormal warning lights present. If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs according to the appropriate troubleshooting section of the workshop manual. After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to relearn the Keep Alive Memory (KAM).
4. Fill out a blue “Campaign Label” (9999-95-065A-06) with the Campaign No. “MSP23,” your dealer code and the current date, and affix it to the vehicle bulkhead or hood.
Specification Transmission File name
Fed MT LF8J-188K2-C
Fed AT LF8M-188K2-C
Calif MT LF8K-188K2-C
Calif AT LF3T-188K2-C
Mexico MT LF8L-188K2-C
Mexico AT LF8P-188K2-C
Fed MT L538-188K2-D
Fed AT L539-188K2-D
Calif MT L540-188K2-D
Calif AT L541-188K2-D
Mexico MT L545-188K2-C
Mexico AT L546-188K2-C