Ford Trans Leak
Some 2009-2010 Ford F-150 trucks equipped with a 6R80 transmission may show signs of transmission fluid leakage around the transmission bulkhead connector sleeve.
Verify that the leak is present at the bulkhead connector sleeve. With the vehicle in neutral, raise the truck on a lift.
1. Disconnect the transmission vehicle harness connector by twisting the outer shell and pulling back on the connector.
2. Remove the transmission fluid pan and allow the fluid to drain.
3. Pull the release tab and pull down on the transmission bulkhead electrical connector retainer.
4. With the release tab down, pull the connector sleeve out of the case/mechatronic assembly.
5. Lube new connector sleeve O-rings with clean ATF and reinstall the connector sleeve into the case/mechatronic assembly.
6. Press up on the tab and lock the outer shell of the bulkhead connector sleeve in place. Make sure that the locking tab is securely locked.
7. Install the transmission pan and gasket, and re-fill the transmission fluid to specification. Refer to the workshop manual section 307-01 for the re-fill procedure.
NOTE: Do not touch the electrical connector pins or the exposed solenoid tabs on the bulkhead electrical connector. Electrostatic discharge may occur and may cause damage to the transmission control module (TCM).
Bulkhead connector sleeves may come with red or black O-ring seals. Address only the bulkhead connector sleeve that has black O-ring seals for this procedure.