Jeep Goes Clatter
Owners of 2011-2013 Jeep Compass or Patriot vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine and either the Continuously Variable Transaxle or the Continuously Variable Transaxle with Off-Road Crawl Ratio may complain of a clatter or rattle noise from the engine upon cold start-up after a long cold soak. A MIL may also be on, with DTC P050B (cold start ignition timing performance) stored.
1. If the vehicle was built on or before March 1, 2012, proceed to Step 2. If not, proceed to Step 16.
2. Replace the transmission shifter cable.
3. Remove the right wheel inner splash shield.
4, Position a clean container under the radiator draincock location. Do not open the draincock if the system is hot and under pressure to avoid serious burns.
5. Without removing the radiator pressure cap and with the system not under pressure, turn the draincock counterclockwise to open.
6. The coolant reserve bottle should empty first. Then remove the pressure cap.
7. Allow the system to drain completely.
8. Remove both supply and return heater core hoses.
9. Install new heater core supply hose P/N 05058822AB and heater core return hose P/N 05058823AB.
10 . Install the right wheel inner splash shield.
11. Remove the engine cover.
12. To ensure that the purge solenoid wiring harness does not come into contact with the heater hoses, the wire harness will require a slight modification.
13. Loosely pull the purge solenoid wire harness straight and create a bend in the harness approximately 3/8-inch to 7/16-inch away from the harness retaining clip edge. This bend will also create a natural bend after the current spot tape on the harness. Then apply 3-4 wraps of electrical tape securing the bend to the harness as shown in Figure 2.
14. Install the engine cover.
15. Fill the engine coolant system making sure that no air is trapped. Refer to DealerCONNECT>Service>TechCONNECT>Service Info>07 – Cooling>Standard Procedure>STANDARD PROCEDURE – COOLANT AIR EVACUATION for additional information.
16. Install a battery charger to ensure that battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts or above 13.5 volts during the flash process.
17. Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. After reprogramming clear any DTCs that may have set in other modules.
05058822AB………….hose, heater core supply
05058823AB………….hose, heater core return