Ford Direct Injection Misfire
Some 2010-2011 Ford Taurus vehicles equipped with a 3.5L GTDI (Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injected) engine may exhibit rough running, hesitation and/or shuddering, with DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306 or P0316.
1.If the engine build date is on or before 8-2-2010, proceed to Step 2. If the engine build date is after 8-2-2010, proceed to Step 5.
2. Retrieve DTCs to determine which cylinder(s) has misfired.
3. Remove the spark plug(s) of the affected cylinder(s).
4. Check the spark plug for broken ceramic.
a. If the spark plug has broken ceramic or the part number is CYFS-12F-3, replace all six spark plugs.
b. If the spark plug does not have a broken ceramic, and part number is CYFS-12Y-3, do not replace the spark plugs (unless other spark plug damage is found).
5. If the vehicle build date is on or before 10-27-2010, proceed to Step 6. If the vehicle build date is after 10-27-2010, refer to the powertrain control/emissions diagnosis manual for normal diagnostics.
6. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.03 and higher. Calibration files can be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.