Checking the Hyundai ATF Level
The following Hyundai vehicles are equipped with an 8-speed automatic transmission:
- 2012-2016 Genesis Sedan 3.8L, 6L, 5.0L
- 2012-2016 Equus 5.0L
- 2013-2016 Genesis Coupe 2.0L, 3.8L
- 2017-on Genesis G80
- 2017-on Genesis G90
The ATF level can be checked by the following procedure.
(Note: use only ATF meeting the SPH-IV-RR specification P/N 00232-19052). Do not use SP-III, SPH-IV or other ATF which can result in poor shift quality)
- Remove the plastic shield under the transmission.
- If the ATF has been completely drained, go to Step 3. To check ATF level, go to Step 5.
- Turn off the engine, shift to Neutral and raise the vehicle on a lift. Use an 8mm or 5/16” hex wrench to remove the fill plug and washer.
- Remove the overflow plug. Use a fluid pump or suction gun to add SPH-IV-RR ATF through the fill plug until ATF overflows from the overflow plug hole. Replace both plugs.
- Attach a GDS and select vehicle, Data Analysis, A/T menu and Oil Temperature Sensor. Move the shift lever from P-R-D and back to P. Drive the vehicle until the ATF is at the low end of the range of 122-140 degrees F.
- Start the engine, shift to Neutral and raise the vehicle on a lift. Remove the fill plug and overflow plug. Add SPH-IV-RR ATF through the fill plug hole until ATF flows out of the hole. Reinstall the overflow plug. Torque the overflow plug to 16-18 lb-ft. Torque the fill plug (with washer) to 27-33 lb-ft.