This bulletin applies to 2015-2019 Cadillac Escalade as well as other select GM vehicles equipped with Stabilitrak. Some customers may comment about a Service Stabilitrak message displayed on the driver information center. The technician may find DTC C0196-5A set in the EBCM.
C0196-5A is related to YAW sensor plausibility. Engineering has determined that stone impacts to the underside of the transmission tunnel, right below the SDM, may cause the YAW/Lat sensor located in the SDM to send signal spikes related to the resonant frequencies of the sheet metal, in the 12-14 kHz range.
If the YAW/Lat signals don’t line up with vehicle speed and steering angle sensor data, the EBCM will set code C0196-5A (plausibility fault). Sometimes the SDM will set C0196-00 (invalid yaw rate data fault) if the stone impingement crosses the internal sensor fault threshold which will in turn cause the EBCM to set a C0452-71 fault code.
If you encounter this concern, follow diagnostic procedures in the service manual. After completing necessary repairs to address the DTCs, perform the following procedure. Applying vibration deadening material to the underside of the transmission tunnel is intended to dampen the frequency of stone impacts to prevent a repeat occurrence.
- Raise the vehicle.
- Locate the area (shown in photo) above the transmission and transfer case, if equipped.
- Ensure that the area is free of debris by cleaning the area with wax and grease remover and dry.
- Mark the transmission tunnel as noted in the photo.
- Wrap and tape off the transmission, transfer case, propeller shaft, cables, wiring, exhaust, etc. to protect from overspray.
- Apply a minimum of three heavy coats of vibration deadening material to the marked area.
High Definition Sealer/Sound Deadener (Qty 2)............. 805HD (obtain from Lord Fusor...877-ASK-LORD)
Sprayable seam sealer tool..............................................Fusor 312 Gun