This bulletin applies to 2018-2019 Ram 1500 trucks built on or after April 3, 2018, and on or before Aug. 8, 2018. Inspect the rear axle for proper fluid level and if necessary, replace the rear axle assembly.
The customer may experience a growling noise from the rear axle. Raise and support the vehicle on a hoist (preferably flat drive-on hoist). The axle must remain at a normal level for inspection. Inspect the rear axle for proper fluid level.
1. Clean the area around the fill plug and remove the fill plug.
2. Take a piece of wire or zip tie and make a 90-degree bend two-inches from the end. Make a line at ¼-inch for a lubricant level indicator line.
3. Insert the wire perpendicular to the fill plug hole and use it like a dipstick, resting on the bottom of the hole.
4. Remove the wire and verify that the fluid level is within the marked line from the 90-degree band to the oil level.
5. According to the bulletin, if oil level is not within spec, replace the rear axle assembly. New replacement axle assemblies are pre-filled with fluid.